How to Process Report of Birth in Canada (for Filipinos)

The birth of a newborn Filipino child in Canada requires proper documentation to be recorded at the Philippine Embassy or Consulate. This step is important for establishing the child’s identity and personal records as a lawful resident in Canada. It may also prove to be crucial should your family decide to travel or move back to the Philippines, whether for work, studies, or a long vacation. Having all your legal papers sorted out prevents any complications along the way.

That being said, the birth of the child should be reported to the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), formerly known as the National Statistics Office or NSO, through the Philippine embassy or the Philippine Consulate in which you are under the jurisdiction. If this is something that you need to accomplish during your move to Canada, then make sure to read the rest of this guide.


What are the Steps to Report a Birth in Canada?

Aside from the reason stated earlier, processing a report of birth as soon as possible is crucial for any Filipino immigrant in Canada. Fortunately, the steps in doing so are relatively easy and simple to follow, which we will list in the following sections. The main thing here would be submitting the requirements in full. The timeframe and processing of the document are standard, so it’s mostly up to you, whether your filing/application will be successful or not.


  • Report of Birth service is done by appointment only. It can be done by sending an email for an application to the Philippine Embassy: 
  • All clients must submit the Health Declaration form in person before they avail themselves of services at the consulate.
  • All documents necessary for the registration of birth must be submitted before the client can avail of their services.

What is a Report of Birth?

The report details the information of a Filipino child’s birth abroad. It is a declaration made by the person who provides the information about the birth.

It is very important for parents to register their child’s birth with the Consulate of their country in order to be recognized by the Philippine Statistics Authority.

When a child is born to a non-Philippine citizen, its parents should immediately report the event to the Philippine embassy or consulate-general.

Report of Birth can be accepted if it has been submitted to the PSA for at least six months prior to the application of a passport.

If the ROB has been transmitted for more than six months, then the recipient’s PSA birth certificate should be required.

Requirements for a Report of Birth

  • Four (4) original copies of the report of birth form;
  • Original and four (4) copies of the long-form birth certificate with the details of the parents and live birth registration from the Vital Statistics Office;
  • Original and four (4) copies of the data page of passports of the parent, which must be valid at the time of their birth.
  • If the parents are dual citizens, then the documents should contain a copy of their visa and proof of their status.
  • Self-addressed Xpresspost envelope with tracking number;
  • Original and four (4) copies of First passport or Travel Document of the Child/Subject. Photocopy of bio data page;
  • Notarized Affidavit of Delayed Registration of Birth, if birth is reported more than one year after the birth of the child;
  • When a child is born, the parents should provide their original and four copies of their marriage certificate in security paper.
  • If the parents were married after the child’s birth, they should submit an affidavit of verification that shows that their marriage has been legitimated. The child should also use the surname of its father.
  • If the marriage has already been legitimated, the parents should acknowledge the child by producing an affidavit of legitimation recognized by the Philippine Consulate general in Canada.
  • For children of parents who were not married at the time of the child’s birth, the following should also be submitted:

Submission by Mail:

  • Affidavits should be notarized by a BC / Yukon / Northwest Territories notary public (whichever is applicable);
  • Applicant’s contact details.
  • Bank draft/money order indicating the corresponding service fees payable to the Philippine Consulate General. Personal checks and cash will not be accepted;
  • One (1) self-addressed Xpresspost return envelope;
  • All original forms of documentary requirements must be accompanied by four copies of each. These include original passports, visas, and citizenship cards. Original documents may also be requested by the consulate for verification purposes; and
  • Report of Birth/Marriage/Death Form, notarized by a BC / Yukon / Northwest Territories notary public (whichever is applicable);

Fees for a Report of Birth

Here is a list of fees that must be paid in cash at the Philippine Embassy in Canada

Report of Birth – CAD 36.25 (USD 28.58)

Affidavit of Delayed Registration of Birth, for births registered one year after the birth of the child – CAD 36.25 (USD 28.58)

Affidavit of Admission of Paternity (AAP), if applicable – CAD 36.25 (USD 28.58)

Affidavit to Use the Surname of the Father (AUSF), if applicable – CAD 36.25 (USD 28.58)

Affidavit of Legitimation by Subsequent Marriage, if applicable – CAD 36.25 (USD 28.58)

Procedure: How to Apply for a Report of Birth in Canada

  1. The first thing you will need to do is to book an appointment at the Philippine Embassy in Canada by sending them an email regarding this transaction.
  2. Once you have secured an appointment, you must show up on-site at the appointment period and then fill out a Health Declaration at the consulate.
  3. Proceed to talk with the action officer handling the reports of birth; fill out the forms they will provide you with and submit all the requirements. Do note that additional documents may be required after the applicant has been evaluated to determine the child’s citizenship or identity.
  4. Settle the applicable fees to your request. The consulate or embassy will not accept card payments so be ready to prepare the cash amount when processing any transactions on-site.
  5. Wait between three to four days for your document to be released.

Video: Guide in Applying for a Report of Birth Abroad

In this video guide on YouTube shared by our vlogger kabayan, the mom of The Eaton Squad, you will have an overview of the process for applying for a report of birth when abroad. According to her research,

According to the video, the Report of Birth is a document that details the information concerning a Filipino child’s birth. It is important that Filipinos living in other countries confirm the details of their child’s birth.

A child’s birth should be reported to the local consulate or the Philippine Embassy if both or either of its parents are Filipino citizens. This will be essential in processing the child’s citizenship or naturalization process in the future, should the child decide to return to the Philippines or live elsewhere.

Moreover, the Pinay vlogger gave some important tips on what to do so that your filing of a report of birth will go as smoothly and easily as possible. This was all based on her experience filing for her kids since they are all based in the US.  Just remember to research the specific requirements set by your local consulate or the Philippine Embassy as there may be some slight differences, depending on where you are based in the world.

Frequently Asked Questions

How long do you have to report a birth in Canada?

Ideally, the parents should report the birth to the consulate within 12 months after its occurrence. If the parents fail to report the birth, the child’s certificate should be recorded under the condition that the consulate approves the authenticity of the report. While the consulate or embassy shall decide whether to accept a report of birth for a Filipino child abroad, as parents, you mustn’t delay this any further because you won’t know when you’d need the assistance of the embassy when it comes to your child’s paperwork. And so,

If the child was born in Canada, then is it possible that he or she is eligible for Philippine citizenship?

If the child is born to a couple who both are Filipino citizens, the parents must report the place of birth to the Philippine embassy or consulate.

Once the child has been born, its parents may also apply for a Philippine passport at the time of filing its Report of Birth. This is important for families who have plans of going back to the Philippines, whether for leisure, the child’s studies, work, or remigration.

Why is it necessary for Filipino citizens to report birth in Canada?

It is also important that the parents register their child’s birth at the consulate to ensure that it is recognized by the Philippine Statistics Authority. It is also a legal obligation of a parent to register the birth of their child to the consulate. A report of birth shows that the child is a natural-born Philippine citizen. If the child is born overseas, it is recognized as a dual citizen.

Is a report of birth necessary for establishing my child’s dual citizenship?

In order to retain their Philippine citizenship, former natural-born Filipinos must sign an oath of allegiance and take an oath before a Philippine consular officer as per RA 9225, also known as the Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003 (more popularly known as the Dual Citizenship Law). If they reacquire their Philippine citizenship, they will also enjoy the same rights and benefits as Filipinos.

Under the concept of derivative citizenship, children of former Filipino parents may also be considered Filipino citizens if they are included in the parents’ application for reacquisition of their Philippine citizenship.

I’ve been naturalized as a Canadian citizen; do I still have to file a report of birth for my children?

Yes, you are still required to file a report of birth. As a naturalized Canadian citizen, you are still a citizen of your country of birth and are therefore required to file a report of birth. This report helps your country keep track of its citizens and can be used for identification purposes or if you need to travel back to your country of birth.


The process of applying for a Philippine Report of Birth can be new and complicated for the uninformed, but there are ways to make it easier. By using all the relevant information presented in this guide, you can ensure a simplified application process so that you don’t waste time or money on doing things wrong.

As you can tell, much of the work in getting this document processed lies with the requirements. Thus, it’s important to get all your documents prepared and on-hand according to the timeline you need to process the report of birth. Remember, the processing time at the Consulate varies depending on the status of the documents. It typically takes around 3 to 4 days after the documents have been received.

If this is something you need help with, make sure to keep a copy of this guide and share it with your friends or loved ones who may need assistance in this aspect of their stay in Canada.

READ NEXT: Top 5 Reasons why Pinoys Go to Canada for Work

Contact Information

Below are the following Philippine embassies and Philippine consulates office in Canada for your reference. It is important that you visit the nearest one in your work location:

Philippine Embassy in Toronto, Canada

Address: 30 Murray Street, Ottawa ON K1N 5M4
Tel. Nos. :  +1 613-2331121
Fax No. :  +1 613-2334165
Email :
Timings: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Mondays to Fridays, except Philippine and Canadian holidays.
Google Map Location

Philippine Consulate General in Vancouver Canada

Address: 999 Canada Place, Suite 660 Vancouver, BC V6C 3E1
Phone: 604-685-1619
Fax Number: 604-685-9945
Timings: 9 AM – 5 PM (Monday to Friday except on Philippine and Canadian holidays)
Google Map Location

Philippine Consulate General in Toronto, Canada

Telephone   (416) 922.7181
Facsimile    (416) 922.2638
Timings: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm (except for Philippine and Canadian Holiday)
Google Map Location

Philippine Consulate General in Calgary, Canada

Address: Suite 920, 517 10th Ave. SW Calgary, AB T2R 0A8
Tels.: (403)4559343; 4559346; 4559457; 4559483; (587)577-1524
Timings:  9:00am – 10:00am · 10:00am – 3:00pm; (except for Philippine and Canadian Holiday)

Google Map Location

3 thoughts on “How to Process Report of Birth in Canada (for Filipinos)”

  1. Pingback: harp music
  2. Pingback: soothing music
  3. Pingback: winter jazz

Comments are closed.