How to Get Married in Canada (For Filipinos)

For Filipinos currently residing in Canada and would like to process report of marriage, You can do so by going to the Philippine Embassy who can help you for the same. Below are the steps and requirements to accomplish:

Note: Consular Officers are authorized to solemnize marriages between two Filipinos who are legal residents of British Columbia, Alberta, the Yukon and the Northwest Territories.

report of marriage canada

Pinoy Marriage Guidelines at the Philippine Embassy in Canada

Important Reminders:

Ø A marriage where one or both of the contracting parties is a Filipino citizen must be reported to the Consulate in order for the said marriage to be properly registered and recorded with the Office of the Civil Registrar General in Manila.

Ø The Consulate can only undertake the marriage registration process if the marriage took place within in its jurisdiction, i.e., British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon Territories and Northwest Territories.  For marriages outside of its jurisdiction, the Report of Marriage must be filed with the Philippine Embassy or Consulate which exercises jurisdiction over the place of marriage.

Ø ​In general, divorces between Filipinos are not recognized under Philippine law, wherever the decree is obtained.  However, in the case of mixed marriages e.g. between Filipinos and foreigners, Philippine law would allow a divorced Filipino to re-marry, if the alien spouse initiated the divorce proceedings.  In this case, however, the Filipino spouse may be required to show proof or document of her previous husband’s foreign citizenship.

Ø Decrees of annulment issued by Philippine courts pursuant to the Family Code would allow Filipinos to re-marry.  A judicial decree declaring the nullity of a marriage from the beginning would allow re-marriage.

Ø The marriage between two Filipinos, or a Filipino and a foreigner, solemnized in British Columbia, Alberta, the Yukon and the Northwest Territories should be reported to and registered with the Philippine National Statistics Office through the Consulate General.

Requirements that need to be submitted:

A.  Original and four (4) photocopies of Certificate of Marriage (submit the long form) issued by the Vital Statistics Office of Canada;

B.  Notarized Affidavit of Late Registration of Marriage if being reported after twelve (12) months from the time of marriage;

C. Originals and four (4) photocopies of NSO-authenticated Birth Certificate & Certificate of No Marriage (Cenomar) of Filipina spouse;

D. Original and four (4) photocopies of Certificate of No Marriage of Filipino spouse;

The Consular Officer reserves the right to require additional proof or documents from an applicant to prove his/her citizenship, status or identity pursuant to Philippine Passport Law (RA 8239) and the Foreign Service Act (RA 7157).

E. Original and four (4) photocopies of passports of spouses;

F.  Original and four (4) photocopies of PR card/work permit/landing papers of Filipino/Filipina spouse(s);

G.  Duly accomplished Report of Marriage Form, in quadruplicate;

H.  Processing fee of CAN$ 31.25 in cash or money order/bank draft made payable to the Philippine Consulate General.  Do not send cash in the mail;

I.  One (1) original or certified true copy & four (4) photocopies of the Judicial Decree of Divorce or Annulment if either spouse was previously married and divorced, or previously married and marriage was subsequently annulled plus an annotated NSO Marriage Certificate (with four photocopies) reflecting the annulment/divorce decree;

J.  One (1) original or certified true copy & four (4) photocopies of the Death Certificate of deceased spouse if either spouse is a widow/widower.​


Applicants who applied in person but want their documents to be mailed back to them should submit a self-addressed prepaid envelope of a courier service of their choice along with the regular requirements.

(Note: If applicants choose to use the services of Canada Post, it is required that they purchase the “Signature on Delivery Sticker” to allow tracking of who signed for the receipt of their documents.)

The Philippine Consulate General – Vancouver

Address: World Trade Center Office Complex 999 Canada Place, Suite 660 Vancouver, B.C. V6C 3E1 – Location Map
Phone: (604) 685-1619 or (604) 685-7645 Fax: (604) 685-9945

Office Hours: 9:00 am to 4:30 pm (Monday to Friday) & 9:00 am to 6:00 pm (every last Friday of each month)​ Exc Holidays

Other Useful Articles:

5 thoughts on “How to Get Married in Canada (For Filipinos)”

  1. Pingback: study music

Comments are closed.