Overseas Filipino workers (OFW) in Ottawa, Canada can now quickly renew their OWWA membership to continue receiving benefits and services from the agency. Remember that your OWWA membership is only valid for two (2) years, so don’t miss out on this opportunity. Why? We’ll tell you (or remind you) about the benefits you may get from the OWWA as a qualifying OFW member.
- How to Renew OWWA Membership in Vancouver, Canada
- How to Renew OWWA Membership in Toronto, Canada
- How to Renew OWWA Membership in Calgary, Canada
You may feel that renewing your membership will be tough, especially if you are doing it from another nation. However, this is not what you may assume when you start this simple process. Continue reading if you want to discover more. We’ll present you an overview of the OWWA membership program, what you can anticipate as a member, the renewal procedure, some tips, and FAQs regarding the program, so make sure to read all the way to the end.
Guide to OWWA Appointment and Membership Renewal in Ottawa, Canada
If you’ve come across this page but aren’t already an OWWA member, keep reading because you’ll learn how to apply for membership as well, since the processes are almost identical.
What is OWWA Membership?
The OWWA is a welfare organisation for overseas Filipino workers. It teaches them of their rights and responsibilities when working in another nation. A a result, every OFW must grasp what it means to be an OWWA member, as this will affect their career and overall well-being as an overseas worker.
The OWWA offers two types of membership. The first is via the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA), which OFWs must complete before departing for their destination countries.
The second approach is to apply for membership through the OWWA’s On-Site Membership Program, which allows Filipinos living abroad to apply for membership by filling out an application form and presenting the necessary papers.
So, who is eligible to apply for or renew their OWWA membership? Let’s have a look at the following:
- Must be actively and legally working abroad. This means you need to have your legal documents for work wherever you may be in the world.
- Is a permanent resident with full-time, permanent work but remain a Filipino citizen
Given the criteria for eligibility above, the following ARE NOT eligible to apply for or renew membership with OWWA:
- Due for cancellation
- Due for termination
- No work, no pay
OFWs in Ottawa, Canada who are renewing or applying for OWWA membership for the first time must provide the following documents:
- Duly accomplished OFW Information Sheet. Download a copy of the form here.
- OFWs must present a letter of certification from the employer or company, verifying that they are not on the list of terminated, resigned, canceled
- Original and photocopy of passport (showing the data page)
- Photocopy of Active and Valid Proof of Employment
- Photocopy of Valid Visa and Work Permit
Applying or renewing OWWA membership requires a fee of USD 25.00 (CAD 32.00 or PHP 1,032)
Before you can get started with your membership application or renewal, you need to know whether the OWWA branch (at the Philippine foreign post [POLO] in your area), or in this case, Ottawa, has an online appointment system for OWWA services.
As of this writing, POLO-Ottawa does not have an online appointment system for OWWA services. However, based on a May 29, 2020, PCG-Toronto post on Facebook, the OWWA membership application is temporarily via email. This means that OFWs are not yet advised to go directly to the POLO-Ottawa office as COVID-19 restrictions are still in place.
Other ways OFWs can apply for or renew their membership is through the OWWA mobile application or OWWA Regional Welfare Offices. Just keep posted on the PCG-Ottawa’s social media pages for the latest announcements.
Applying via Email:
As mentioned, application for membership is temporarily coursed through email. Simply email the requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
POLO-Ottawa will handle and validate your membership application or renewal after receiving and sending the above-mentioned documents to OWWA via email.
In terms of payment, you will only be required to pay for your membership when OWWA has confirmed your application and papers. This implies you must wait for a confirmation call from POLO-Ottawa on your application before paying for your OWWA membership. Payment is made by wire transfer.
If you submit your membership application or renewal at a consular outreach mission, you may pay the membership fee to the POLO-Ottawa officer-in-charge (OIC) once your application is accepted.
Applying via Mobile App:
- OFWs may now apply for or renew their OWWA membership using the agency’s official app, which is available for download from the Google Play Store or the App Store.
Applying via OWWA Regional Offices:
Overseas Filipino workers can simply renew their OWWA membership with the assistance of their family by submitting the necessary documentation to their nearest regional welfare office back home.
Here’s a link for information on the OWWA Regional Offices: https://owwa.gov.ph/index.php/contact-us.
Here are the steps on paying your membership fee at POLO-Ottawa office:
- Download the OWWA form and print out several copies to fill out manually.
- Fill out all the required fields on the form, including your personal details, contract information, as well as legal beneficiaries/qualified dependents.
- Once you’ve accomplished the OWWA information sheet, you may now scan the form along with the other requirements.
- Email the complete and scanned requirements to email@example.com.
- Wait for the confirmation of your application. This could take three to seven days.
- Upon receiving confirmation of your application, you may then settle the membership fee of USD 25 via bank transfer.
- San the receipt of your payment and send it to Ottawa@owwa.gov.ph.
- POLO-Ottawa will then request for your mailing address. Provide this information so that you can get the official receipt for your membership payment.
Aside from completing all the steps and requirements set by OWWA, here are some reminders provided by POLO-Ottawa regarding your OWWA membership application or renewal:
- Make sure that all your requirements are complete before submitting your application. If you have not prepared all the required documents, then your application will not be processed.
- Make sure that your documents are clear and not blurred before sending them to POLO Ottawa.
- OFW should also receive a confirmation from POLO Ottawa regarding their application.
- After paying the OWWA’s membership fee, you should send the scanned receipt to confirm your membership.
- You can also connect with the POLO Ottawa through its Facebook page and website for more details.
Video: How to Update OWWA Membership Online – NO NEED TO VISIT THE EMBASSY
In this video, you will learn how to update your OWWA membership via the OWWA app. With this method, you don’t need to physically check in at the Philippine embassy. You just need to submit your documents, pay the fee, and wait for the acknowledgement receipt. And that’s it! This will save you travel time as well as extra costs on perhaps taking a day off just to renew your membership.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How to book an appointment with OWWA in Ottawa, Canada?
There is now no need to contact POLO Ottawa to schedule an appointment for OWWA membership. However, OFWs are urged not to attend the POLO-Ottawa office because the OWWA membership application is not currently being handled on-site. You may, however, submit your application or renewal data by emailing them to PCG-Toronto.
- How do I renew my OWWA membership in Ottawa, Canada?
The application process for OWWA membership in Ottawa, Canada is straightforward. The membership fee is paid by bank transfer when the needed papers are submitted via email. Then simply wait for the formal reception of your money, and your membership should be renewed immediately.
- Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can renew your membership online or through the OWWA mobile app. Just enter your email address and your preferred payment method.
- How long is OWWA membership valid?
The OWWA membership needs to be renewed every two years. The renewal date falls on the date of your application.
- Why is my OWWA membership inactive?
If your OWWA membership has been inactive for more than two years, it will become inactive. It might also be deleted if your work visa has expired. To keep his or her OWWA membership, an applicant must not change jobs within two years of the date of application.
- Is OWWA membership mandatory?
Many OFWs who have applied for jobs with the POEA are compelled to join the OWWA. Those who have work in other countries, on the other hand, can seek for membership through voluntary enrolment.
- Are all OFW member of OWWA? No, not all OFWs are members of OWWA.
The OWWA has established several conditions for its members. Those who are unable to achieve these conditions, such as unauthorized employees, will be denied membership with the agency.
- Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
Active and registered OWWA members have access to the organization’s many perks. Inactive members may also participate in the organization’s programs and services; however, their participation is limited according to their membership status.
- What are the OWWA benefits for active members?
As OWWA-members, OFWs can gain access to a range of member benefits, which include the following:
- OWWA financial assistance: The OWWA loan is a type of loan that provides financial help to overseas workers for various purposes, such as a vacation or emergency expenses.
- OWWA social benefits: These benefits are provided to OFWs who are disabled and dismemberment benefits are also provided to them.
- Seminar and training for OFWs: The OWWA also helps enrich the knowledge and skills of OFWs all over the world thru skills training and seminars/webinars. Some of these include the country-specific Pre-Departure Education Program (PDOS), comprehensive Pre-Departure Education Program (CPDEP) and seafarer’s Upgrading Program (SUP).
- OWWA benefits for beneficiaries: Aside from OWWA benefits, there are also various scholarship programs that are available to OFW dependents.
- Welfare assistance program: OWWA’s welfare assistance services include on-site support, in-country assistance, and psycho-social counseling.
- Repatriation Assistance Program: The OWWA’s Repatriation Assistance Program provides financial assistance to overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) who are returning to the Philippines in times of distress. This benefit can include shelter, transportation, and social counseling.
- OWWA Rebate Program: OFWs can get a rebate for making OWWA contributions. The amount they can get depends on how many contributions they made. To claim, they can visit the OWWA rebate website.
- OWWA benefits for ex-OFWs: Aside from the welfare of their fellow workers abroad, there are also various OWWA benefits available for retired overseas Filipino workers. These include:
- OWWA Reintegration Program: The Reintegration Program is for overseas workers who have already left their contracts and would like to start a new life in the Philippines. It provides them with the opportunity to start a new venture.
- Balik-Pinas! Balik-Hanapbuhay! Program: The OWWA’s livelihood program supports overseas Filipino workers to start their own businesses. This assistance can be used for various purposes, such as training, equipment, and education.
Membership in the OWWA is a vital step for OFWs to take to ensure that they have access to the various programmes and services offered to them. This allows OFWs to access all of the facilities and benefits given to them by the Philippine government, no matter where they are in the globe, for a little fee. It goes without saying that this is a must-have for every Filipino expat residing in another country. This will not only provide you peace of mind, but it will also help your family and dependents back home. If you want to take advantage of all of the program’s benefits, make sure to keep your membership active and renew it on a regular basis.
Filipinos in Ottawa, Canada, who desire to join OWWA, can do so using the organization’s mobile app or through their local office. If you are an OFW in Ottawa, Canada, make sure you join OWWA. This will allow you to take advantage of all of the benefits available to registered users, such as those outlined in this article.
Address: 30 Murray Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 5M4
Telephone: +1 613.233.1121 (Switchboard)
Fax: +1 613.233.4165
EMERGENCY NO: +1 613.614.2846 (In case of death or detention of a Filipino citizen.)
Facebook: Philippine Embassy Ottawa