If you are an overseas Filipino worker (OFW) in Calgary, Canada, you may now easily renew your OWWA membership to continue enjoying the department’s perks and services. Remember that the OWWA membership is only good for two (2) years, and this is an opportunity you should not pass up. Why? We’ll tell you (or remind you) what you can obtain from the OWWA as a qualified OFW member.
- How to Renew OWWA Membership in Vancouver, Canada
- How to Renew OWWA Membership in Toronto, Canada
- How to Renew OWWA Membership in Ottawa, Canada
You may believe that renewing your membership would be a difficult undertaking, especially because you will be doing so from another country. However, this is far from what you may expect when you begin this easy process. Continue reading if you want to discover more. We’ll present you an overview of the OWWA membership program, what you can anticipate as a member, the renewal procedure, some tips, and FAQs regarding the program, so make sure to read all the way to the end.
Guide to OWWA Appointment and Membership Renewal in Calgary Canada
If you come across this page but are not currently an OWWA member, keep reading because you’ll also learn how to apply for membership, as these processes are almost identical.
What is OWWA Membership?
Membership in the OWWA is a welfare program for overseas Filipino workers. It informs them about their rights and obligations when working in another country. As a result, it is critical for every OFW to understand what it means to be an OWWA member, as this will affect their career and general well-being as an overseas worker.
Membership in the OWWA is available in two forms. The first is through the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA), which is required of OFWs before they go to their target nations.
The second method is to apply for membership through OWWA’s On-Site Membership Program, which allows abroad Filipinos to apply for membership by filling out an application form and providing the required documentation.
So, who are eligible to apply for or renew their membership with OWWA? Let’s take a look at the following:
- Must be actively and legally working abroad. This means you need to have your legal documents for work wherever you may be in the world.
- Is a permanent resident with full-time, permanent work but remain a Filipino citizen
Given the criteria for eligibility above, the following ARE NOT eligible to apply for or renew membership with OWWA:
- Due for cancellation
- Due for termination
- No work, no pay
OFWs in Calgary, Canada who are renewing or applying for OWWA membership for the first time must provide the following documents:
- Duly accomplished OFW Information Sheet. Download a copy of the form here.
- OFWs must present a letter of certification from the employer or company, verifying that they are not on the list of terminated, resigned, canceled
- Original and photocopy of passport (showing the data page)
- Photocopy of Active and Valid Proof of Employment
- Photocopy of Valid Visa and Work Permit
Applying or renewing OWWA membership requires a fee of USD 25.00 (CAD 32.00 or PHP 1,032)
Procedure: OWWA Appointment
Before you can get started with your membership application or renewal, you need to know whether the OWWA branch (at the Philippine foreign post [POLO] in your area), or in this case, Calgary, has an online appointment system for OWWA services.
As of this writing, POLO-Calgary does not have an online appointment system for OWWA services. However, based on a May 29, 2020 PCG-Calgary post on Facebook, OWWA membership application is temporarily via email. This means that OFWs are not yet advised to go directly to the POLO-Calgary office as COVID-19 restrictions are still in place.
Other ways OFWs can apply for or renew their membership is through the OWWA mobile application or OWWA Regional Welfare Offices. Just keep posted on the PCG-Calgary’s social media pages for the latest announcements.
Applying via Email:
As mentioned, application for membership is temporarily coursed through email. Simply email the requirements to email@example.com.
Upon securing then submitting the above-listed documents to OWWA through email, POLO-Calgary will process and verify your membership application or renewal.
As for payment, you will only need to pay for your membership once your application and documents have been verified by OWWA. This means that you will have to wait for a confirmation (video) call from POLO-Calgary regarding your application before paying them any amount for your OWWA membership. Payment is done through fund transfer.
However, if you are filing your membership application or renewal at a consular outreach mission, you may pay the membership fee to the POLO-Calgary officer-in-charge (OIC) once your application has been approved.
Applying via Mobile App:
- OFWs may now apply for or renew their OWWA membership through the agency’s official app, which can be downloaded from the Google Play Store or the App Store.
Applying via OWWA Regional Offices:
Overseas Filipino workers can easily renew their OWWA membership with the help of their families by submitting the required documents to their nearest regional welfare office back home.
Here’s a link where you can find information on the OWWA Regional Offices: https://owwa.gov.ph/index.php/contact-us.
Here are the steps on paying your membership fee at POLO-Calgary office:
- Download the OWWA form and print out several copies to fill out manually.
- Fill out all the required fields on the form, including your personal details, contract information, as well as legal beneficiaries/qualified dependents.
- Once you’ve accomplished the OWWA information sheet, you may now scan the form along with the other requirements.
- Email the complete and scanned requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wait for the confirmation of your application. This could take three to seven days.
- Upon receiving confirmation of your application, you may then settle the membership fee of USD 25 via bank transfer.
- San the receipt of your payment and send it to email@example.com.
- POLO-Calgary will then request your mailing address. Provide this information so that you can get the official receipt for your membership payment.
Aside from completing all the steps and requirements set by OWWA, here are some reminders provided by POLO-Calgary regarding your OWWA membership application or renewal:
- Make sure that all your requirements are complete before submitting your application. If you have not prepared all the required documents, then your application will not be processed.
- Make sure that your documents are clear and not blurred before sending them to POLO Vancouver.
- OFW should also receive a confirmation from POLO Calgary regarding their application.
- After paying the OWWA’s membership fee, you should send the scanned receipt to confirm your membership.
- You can also connect with the POLO Calgary through its Facebook page and website for more details.
Video: How to Renew OWWA Membership
OFWs can renew their membership through the OWWA mobile app. There are also various payment methods available, such as bank and credit cards.
The vlogger shared that through OWWA’s membership, his family was able to receive assistance from the government after experiencing a disaster.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How to book an appointment with OWWA in Calgary, Canada?
There is now no need to contact POLO Calgary to schedule an appointment for OWWA membership. However, OFWs are urged not to attend the POLO-Calgary office because the OWWA membership application is not currently being handled on-site. You may, however, submit your application or renewal data by emailing them to PCG-Vancouver.
- How do I renew my OWWA membership in Calgary, Canada?
The application process for OWWA membership in Calgary, Canada is straightforward. The membership fee is paid by bank transfer when the needed papers are submitted via email. Then simply wait for the formal reception of your money, and your membership should be renewed immediately.
- Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can renew your membership online or through the OWWA mobile app. Just enter your email address and your preferred payment method.
- How long is OWWA membership valid?
The OWWA membership needs to be renewed every two years. The renewal date falls on the date of your application.
- Why is my OWWA membership inactive?
If your OWWA membership has been inactive for more than two years, it will become inactive. It might also be deleted if your work visa has expired. To keep his or her OWWA membership, an applicant must not change jobs within two years of the date of application.
- Is OWWA membership mandatory?
Many OFWs who have applied for jobs with the POEA are compelled to join the OWWA. Those who have worked in other countries, on the other hand, can seek membership through voluntary enrolment.
- Are all OFW member of OWWA? No, not all OFWs are members of OWWA.
The OWWA has established several conditions for its members. Those who are unable to achieve these conditions, such as unauthorized employees, will be denied membership with the agency.
- Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
Active and registered OWWA members have access to the organization’s many perks. Inactive members may also participate in the organization’s programs and services; however, their participation is limited according to their membership status.
- What are the OWWA benefits for active members?
As OWWA-members, OFWs can gain access to a range of member benefits, which include the following:
- OWWA financial assistance: The OWWA loan is a type of loan that provides financial help to overseas workers for various purposes, such as a vacation or emergency expenses.
- OWWA social benefits: These benefits are provided to OFWs who are disabled and dismemberment benefits are also provided to them.
- Seminar and training for OFWs: The OWWA also helps enrich the knowledge and skills of OFWs all over the world thru skills training and seminars/webinars. Some of these include the country-specific Pre-Departure Education Program (PDOS), comprehensive Pre-Departure Education Program (CPDEP) and seafarer’s Upgrading Program (SUP).
- OWWA benefits for beneficiaries: Aside from OWWA benefits, there are also various scholarship programs that are available to OFW dependents.
- Welfare assistance program: OWWA’s welfare assistance services include on-site support, in-country assistance, and psycho-social counseling.
- Repatriation Assistance Program: The OWWA’s Repatriation Assistance Program provides financial assistance to overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) who are returning to the Philippines in times of distress. This benefit can include shelter, transportation, and social counseling.
- OWWA Rebate Program: OFWs can get a rebate for making OWWA contributions. The amount they can get depends on how many contributions they made. To claim, they can visit the OWWA rebate website.
- OWWA benefits for ex-OFWs: Aside from the welfare of their fellow workers abroad, there are also various OWWA benefits available for retired overseas Filipino workers. These include:
- OWWA Reintegration Program: The Reintegration Program is for overseas workers who have already left their contracts and would like to start a new life in the Philippines. It provides them with the opportunity to start a new venture.
- Balik-Pinas! Balik-Hanapbuhay! Program: The OWWA’s livelihood program supports overseas Filipino workers to start their own businesses. This assistance can be used for various purposes, such as training, equipment, and education.
The OWWA membership is an important step for OFWs to take to guarantee that they have access to the numerous programs and services that are available to them. For a little charge, you may take advantage of all of the services and advantages provided by the Philippine government to abroad Filipinos, no matter where you are in the world. It goes without saying that this is a must-have for any Filipinos living abroad. Not only will this provide you peace of mind, but your membership will also assist your family and dependents back home. Just be sure to keep your membership current and renew it on a regular basis if you want to take advantage of all of the program’s features.
Filipinos in Calgary, Canada, who want to join OWWA, can do so through their local office or through the organization’s mobile app. If you are an OFW in Calgary, Canada, make sure to sign up for an OWWA membership. This will enable you to maximize all of the perks offered to registered members, such as those discussed in this article.
POLO-OWWA Calgary, Canada
Address: Suite #100, 1001 – 1st St., SE Calgary, AB T2G 5G3
Tel: +1 (403) 455 9457
Duty Officer: (587) 572-4996
NOTES – Consular Jurisdiction: Alberta, Saskatchewan